Stuffed onions are a traditional mezze in the Middle-East. Take the largest onions possible, they will be easier to peel.
Lunch / Gluten free / Nuts free
Quantities: for 2
Preparation: 30 mn
Cooking: 20 mn
- 2 very large white onions
- 100g of rice
- 300g of minced meat (lamb preferably)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- rocket salad
- fresh goat cheese with herbs
- sea salt
- chopped coriander
- chopped parsley
- olive oil
- cider vinegar
- Cut the top and bottom of the onions and put the knife through one side to ensure that it will cook evenly inside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, put the onions in and cook for 10 minutes. The layers must be soft and ready to be pulled apart. Set aside to cool then separate all the layers one by one.
- Wash the rice in water and drain well. In a bowl, mix the rice, tomato puree, meat and all the spices and herbs.
- Take one tablespoon of the mixture and wrap a few onion layers around it. Don't press too tightly.
- Put olive oil in a large pan, put the stuffed onions in and cook for 2 minutes until the skin turns brown. Add a bit of vinegar and sugar on top to caramelise the onions.
- Cover the pan, turn the heat to low and cook slowly for 20 minutes. Rotate the onions regularly so they don't stick to the pan.
- Dress the plate with rocket salad, add the onions, the goat cheese and a slice of lemon.